Saturday, April 2, 2011

Dave Reed Classic 5k Yields a New PB!!


Race Report:
Waking up on race morning last Sunday, March 26th, I was still groggy and tired (not the best sleep pre-race, but seems to be the norm in the racing world,) so off to the espresso machine for a little pick-me-up. BAM!!! A double shot of espresso later, my head was in the game, and I was ready to run. I was nervous about this race, as I was coming off yet another hard week of training, (just the day before was a double swim day, and a track workout in between with coach Bjoern and the rest of the UBC gang,) and my calves were just SCREAMING at me, “DONT DO IT!!!” They were pretty fried to say the least, what with this being my 3rd race in only 4 weeks (UBC, St. Paddy’s Day 5k,) and I knew that it was going to be pure pain. The funniest part is, only a few days before the race, I was just cruising through my training log, and I decided to check out the details on this particular Saturday’s workout, as it looked a little odd. It showed a 45min warm-up, and then the main set showed a URL website address. Opening it, to my horror, it showed the 5k race. So with only a few days notice, I had to sign up. I figured coach was trying to do me in for sure.

My #1 Fan!!
 Fortunately for me, there were others participating in this suffer-fest of a race (aren’t all 5k’s pure suffering?) First off, my very good brothers-in-pain David Pallermo, Elliot Holtham, and Drew Nicholson were all entered in the race. What I also found out at the start line, was that National Training Center members Andrew McCartney and Cole Stewart would be there (very fast athletes, and guys I will be racing with this season.) Very exciting!! I also somehow managed to convince my mum to sign up for the race (more of me signing her up, and kindly informing her she was running!haha) Coach Bjoern was going to be there to watch as well, and I had a special fan coming with me, cheering me on like crazy at the finish line, my girlfriend De Anna. Always have to give that extra effort to impress my girl ;)

The finish line sprint, with a pass
Sipping my E-Load Heat Endurance Formula on the way to the race, I was fuelled by a solid breakfast shake of yogurt and berries (which in retrospect, might have been a bit too much to eat, back to the drawing board on that,) but I was feeling superbly energized, surprising even after a hard week of training. A good solid 40minute warm-up and an E-Load Gel later, I found myself bouncing around the start line, ready to go. With a loud horn blast, the race was on, and as predicted the calves were in searing pain from the start. As the race progressed, the rest of the legs started to burn like mad, but I kept pushing to keep with the pack. I was happy that I could hold on to the main lead pack of runners (including Dave and Andrew,) for the first 3.5kms, then I started to fall off as they cranked up the pace. My goal became one of survival, trying my best to stay away from anyone behind me (which included Elliot, hot on my heels and keeping me running scared!) As the last 500m’s loomed, a runner up further started to slow slightly, and I decided that it was time to give it everything left in the tank. Lungs burning, vision blurring, legs in a hellish realm of torture, I was reeling in the last guy I thought I could catch, and with an excruciatingly difficult effort I managed to surge past with about 100m’s to go, ending up in 6th place, with a new Personal Best of 15:58, FINALLY breaking the 16 minute mark (and that much closer to the World Cup Time Standard of 15:40 for the 5k!) Andrew and David threw down some killer times, Andrew edging out the others for second, David pulling in an incredible PB smashing race to go 15:39, and pull off a second overall. Outstanding work for everyone, with Elliot surviving his first EVER road race (barely,) for a just over 16 minute 5k.
Elliot, myself, Dave, and Drew, post-race celebration
Super happy with the new PB!!!

So a few things about this race: A. Eating a GIANT burrito at 8:45pm the night before the race (which is becoming a routine ritual after the Friday night track/masters swim sessions in UBC,) = BAD. Leaves you feeling too full on race morning, and does NOT help with a good sleep.
B. Breakfast needs to be smaller, ESPECIALLY with these short 5k races. Some liquid calories with a banana is going to be my new pre-race breakfast (for short course anyways,) keeping me lighter with less stomach issues.
C. The E-Load drink, mixed with the Gel about 15 minutes before the race ensured I would have enough energy and electrolytes to make it through the race, as the short race needed a very long warm-up. They worked perfectly, SUPER easy on the stomach, with no crashing or anything. A healthy product too, with no fillers or additives, for those health freaks like myself!!!
D. I used the Compressport Calf-Guards, they are a staple in my race execution. They help with the shock from running, keep fresh blood flowing to my muscles, and help keep everything together (especially after a hard week of training.) They do seem to make a difference, and on  a bit of a colder day they keep the legs slightly warmer (although on hot days, they almost seem to keep the legs cooler!)
E. Julio Daza, of Code Sport, gave me a new pair of Code Bamboo Socks the day before the race, to try out. From the moment I put them on, it was like a vacation for my feet!! They are EASILY the most comfortable sock I’ve ever worn, and during the race it felt like I was wearing cadillacs, (you know, the smooth cushy ride in the back seat of your high school clunker, that EVERYONE wanted to ride in because it was the most comfortable around!) They are SO soft, and being slightly thicker on the bottom gave them a very cushioned feel, but not so much as to make my shoes feel too tight. The New Balance 205KIM race flats were absolutely amazing as always, hugging my feet so perfectly, giving me a TON of spring in every step, and super light to boot!
The top guys in our Age Group

The day being a success, I looked forward to the next chance to test my fitness, which will be the 2011 Vancouver Sun Run 10k road race, which Bjoern somehow conned me into signing up for. It will be more pain than this 5k was, as I will have just returned from my 12 day training camp in Las Vegas (a 60+hr training camp,) and will also be coming off my second night shift at work. Fatigued, tired, and rushed. That’s the life of a pro triathlete.

Guess I’ll just have to get used to it J

No comments:

Post a Comment